Best Food for My Dog's Recurring Rash

by Jonathan Ciosek

I have a 2yr old Goldendoodle. I took him to the vet about 3 months ago concerning a rash on his stomach. They told me it was probably caused by his diet and they put him on Hills d/d, not sure if you have heard of that.

Anyway, they put him on a pill, and a topical steroid. The topical gel was called Fuciderm Gel 15g. The rash went away after a few weeks and the pill was gone.

However, it came back and we had a little left over of the gel and we use it now, but the rash keeps coming back.

My question is, do I need to be buying the $60 vet food, or should I just go to a local pet store and buy him food from there?

Comments for Best Food for My Dog's Recurring Rash

My Online Vet Response for Best Food for Recurring Skin Rash

Hi Jonathan,
Yes, I have heard of D/D food. It is made by Hill's pet food, as a 'hypo allergenic' diet, or 'Dermatology Diet'. Considering the treatment given for your 2 year old GoldenDoodle, Fuciderm Gel and antibiotic and/or steroid pills, I suspect that they are diagnosing a dog food allergy.

The rash is a secondary bacterial infection. Although if it were truly a food allergy, I would expect your dog to scratch all over, not just on his abdomen. You did not mention anything about him chewing or itching any other areas, such as his feet, face, rear end, etc.

Since you did not submit a photo, I will just give you my opinion on food allergies, and recurrent skin problems...

Feeding your dog a healthy diet, meaning less or no dry food, and more raw meat mixed with bone and cooked vegetables, would help to improve his health so that he will not be susceptible to allergies, and also his skin will be more resistant to bacterial infections.

Keeping his skin clean by shampooing with a mild baby shampoo, or an oatmeal shampoo, and dry well once a week for 3 weeks will help.

See our Dog Skin Conditions page for more info.

It is not only the food that can wreak havoc with your dog's skin, or immune system.

Click on this link to find out more details of how to deal with allergies.

If your dog is not responding to the improvement in diet, cleanliness, fewer vaccines, then finding a holistic veterinarian in your area will help to clear up his skin.

Spirit's allergies
by: Dee

Spirit was plagued with itchies forever. He has been trained to be a mobility service dog so his health is doubly important.

I would suggest that the person move forward with a blood test to assess the dog's allergies. At our vet it cost $150.00 but was well worth it.

Sometimes you can go for months trying out different foods and eliminating common allergies, only to discover that the list is long and extensive (as well as expensive).

I was shocked to learn that Spirit can only have Turkey or Chicken and no grains or kelp or flax seed. It makes purchasing a commercial dog food impossible and very expensive.

We were constantly having him on steroids and antibiotics for the allergies and recurring infections. I think in the long run having the blood work done saves a lot of time, money and misery. I hope this helps.

Rash from alleries!
by: Karen

I have the same problem with my Chocolate lab.He is almost 2. Most allergies occur between 15-24mon.

I've tried every type of food...I'm in the process of only giving him Ground Beef & White rice. I'm trying to eliminate any allergies he might have.

This could be seasonal allergies like what we get.
If he's licking his paws a lot it usually means
he has a food allergy. I'm not so sure about that.

I give my dog Benadryl to stop the scratching & licking and it seems to work well. As for his rash it has not gone away with this method.

Prednisoine seems to be the only thing that gets rid of it, only to come back once he's finished. Steriods are not good for anyone! I have heard that a vegetarian diet for dogs may do the trick. The dog may have a complete protein allergy and no fish, beef, lamb etc...formula will work. Try to eliminate each protein or just try the vegetarian
diet and see what happens! Good luck, Looks like we both need it!

Articles on diet
by: Louise

Dear Dr.Tillman,
I have been reading your articles and enjoy them very much. Iam glad to see an article about vaccinations .I have had two of my dogs get a double dose, without asking me or checking their history.I was quite upset as my Bassett Cocker mix at the time was 15 and had liver disease.
Also good to learn about supplements. Fish & vitamin E. Thank you very much for addressing these issues.

Molly's Skin Condition
by: Charmaine

I own a 3.5yrs old female Am.Cocker Spaniel. Her skin irritations started when she was about 1yr old. I have been seeing different DVM's to really know the problem. We tried to change her diet from Propac to Eucanuba to Royal Canin's Sensitivity Control and then RC Skin Support. But it seems her skin didn't improve at all. Now I give her Pedigree Lamb&Rice. When we went to see her 1st Vet, he Rx Prednisone & Cephalexin & Mycocide shampoo. Diet was changed to RC Sensitivity Control. Molly's condition improved but after few months of tx her skin condition flared up again. So,I brought her back & he injected Biocan M twice in 1mos. Her skin didn't respond. So,we went to the Vet#2,she did blood work-up,skin scrapping & fungal exam.(-)mites (+)spores & was Dx Mycotic Dso she Rx Ketoconazole 200mg tab,Jetepar capsule & Fungasol Shampoo. Diet was changed to RC Skin Support. Condition improved while on the tx. After 1mos skin flared up again so I brought her back. Vet Rx Chlorphenicamine maleate 4mg tab for 5days & then after 1mos Vet Rx Quadriderm oinment. Result was good while on the tx but after few months condition flares up again. Now Molly's skin condition worsened! So,we went to see Vet#3 again she did skin scrapping,fungal exam.(-)mites (+)spores (+)bacterial ear infection & from what she sees,she Dx Atopic Dermatitis. Vet Rx Co-Amoxiclav 625mg,Prednisone 5mg tab,Inflamol oinment,Dexoryl ointment for ears & Liv52 all for 2wks. I hope this will work! I'm desperate because both me & my dog are suffering for more than 2yrs now. I have been changing her diet from Propac to Eukanuba to RC Sensitivity Control to RC Skin Support and seems her skin remained the same & has gotten worse so now I changed to Pedigree lamb&rice flavor which she likes best. I'm really desperate for her to get well and to really get rid of these skin problem. Please help us! Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Online Vet Response for Best Food for my Dog's Recurring Rash

Hi Charmaine,
I need help for Molly's Skin Condition.

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).