Best Food for Dogs with IBS and Food Allergies

by Kim
(Sierra Madre)

Basset's armpit

Basset's armpit

We have a pit/beagle mix that is 13 and was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) last year. And we have a 4 year old basset with allergies. The 13 year old has been on Hills ID low fat and been doing great!

However, the 2 dogs share food and our basset is struggling.

He is allergic to the following:

- Fish oils
- Tuna
- Wheat
- Cottage cheese
- Fragrance
- Canola oil
- Human dander
- Oat

I know I can feed them separately and I will if needed but I would really like to find a food they could share. They like to share/it's the way they "work".

Is there a brand/type of food you would recommend that would work for both issues?

Basset is not allergic to chicken and is not medicated...his allergies are not that severe.
Thank you!
Kim

Comments for Best Food for Dogs with IBS and Food Allergies

My Online Vet Response for: Best Food for Dogs with IBS and Food Allergies

February 9, 2015

Hi Kim,
For the Basset Hound with food allergies, (and other), I suggest one of the raw diets such as Bravo, Primal or Nature's Variety. Find one that is lower in fat so that it can be shared with your older dog with the IBS.

Your Basset is allergic to the following:
- Fish oils
- Tuna
- Wheat
- Cottage cheese
- Fragrance
- Canola oil
- Human dander
- Oat

Most raw diets do not use raw fish or pork, never include dairy, or fragrance, and rarely have grain such as wheat or oat.

You did not state how much your dogs weighed, otherwise I could suggest how many calories to feed them.

Considering their immune systems are not healthy with allergies problems and IBS, I would also advise NO more vaccinations. Find a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for you.