Best Dog Food Ingredients for Hot Spots

by Linda M.
(Croydon, PA, USA)

What should we feed our dog to help her hot spots? Could changing her diet be the answer?

Our 11 month old female Golden Retreiver has hot spots around her neck and we are thinking about changing her food. She currently eats Purina One Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food.

Can you give us some examples of what ingredients/foods she should be getting & whether we should give her dry or canned foods? I appreciate it! Thanks, Linda M

Comments for Best Dog Food Ingredients for Hot Spots

My Online Vet Response for Best Dog Food Ingredients for Hot Spots

Hi Linda,
Thank you for your question. Nutrition is of ultimate importance for the health of your dog. And at her young age, 11 months, she is still growing, and the maturing of her immune system is still occurring.

Hot spots around the neck may not be directly due to a poor diet. If they occur behind her ears, I would think about itchy ears. Of course, itchy ears can be due to inhaled allergies, food allergy, or an ear infection.

If the hot spots are located more on the top of her neck, in front of her shoulder blades, or under her neck below her chin, I would be concerned with a possible flea allergy. If her nutrition is improved and she is completely healthy, she will not attract fleas. Fleas are parasites, and will be found on weakened animals. Fleas are not found on strong robust animals that are healthy! Check out our page on Dog Skin Conditions.

Over the shoulder area is also a common location for vaccinations to be given. Dogs can develop 'vaccinosis'. This can appear as a constant itch, especially at the site of where the vaccination is given, which will lead to constant itching, causing a hot spot.

For skin conditions, or just to improve health, a CANNED diet is infinitely better than a DRY dog food. And a raw diet is better than a canned food. Considering she is a large breed, a raw diet may be more than you are able to afford. If this is the case, you could keep her on a canned food and just add some raw meat to it.

DO NOT feed raw pork or raw fish to a dog or cat. It is ok to add in 1-2 TBSP raw chicken, turkey, lamb or beef to her food. Check out our page on the benefits of a raw dog food diet here: Raw Natural Dog Food Diet

The better canned foods do not contain artificial ingredients, artificial color, or preservatives.

Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats has more details and recipes that you can read about. See our page on Homemade Dog Food Recipes for more information.

Omega 3 fish oil for dogs are good to add to your dog's food (give her about 1,000 mg per day) to help moisturize the skin and to act as an anti-inflammatory.

Keeping her hair coat clean and dry are very important. If she spends a lot of time swimming in a lake or ocean, she will need a good oatmeal shampoo after her swim. Clipping off the hot spot to remove the surrounding hair will help in keeping it clean. After cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, then apply Calendula tincture or ointment to the area twice a day to help it to heal.

(response continued below)

My Online Vet response continued from above

(continued from above)

The bottom line is to improve her health holistically, with the best diet, minimal vaccination, lots of exercise, and lots of love! That way she will not be prone to hotspots, she will not get fleas, she will not get allergies, and she will be cured of vaccinosis.

It would be ideal to find a holistic veterinarian close by to help you.

- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section