Belly and Leg "Rash" on Dog

by Angela
(Deer Park, TX)

Scout's Belly

Scout's Belly

I have a 4yr old female chocolate lab (Scout) that has developed a rash over the past week on her back legs, belly and lower chest area.

For a background: We had her tested months ago for allergies since her hair on her back was thinning and she had dandruff and hot spots on her lower back. Tests came back that she was highly allergic to beef, cows milk, and barley.

We switched her food months ago and she has done well; her dry itchy skin improved and her hair started coming back and became thicker. She hasn't had any flare-ups until whatever this "rash" is.

We also have her yellow, 8 month old puppy that is not having any issues.

They are both being fed a large breed puppy dry dog food made by Bill and Jack (as that has been the only thing I've been able to find in my local pet stores that does not have beef or barley in it).

This "rash" started on Scout's hind quarters/back of thighs and looked more like round peeling areas of skin; no redness, slight itching and looked basically like how people's skin looks when it's peeling after a sunburn (without the redness). A day or two later, I noticed the red "rash" bumps coming up on her lower belly. The peeling skin patches were also spreading up her belly as well.

I began giving her Benadryl three times a day (she weighs about 95 pounds) and rubbing Benadryl creme on her belly. I saw no signs of bug bites, no fleas, no ticks, so I figured this was an allergy to something.

The 8 month old puppy (Koda) is not having any symptoms. The creme seems to be helping with the peeling skin (basically moisturizing it), but the red bumps are now all the way up her belly and are redder than they started out, and her lower chest and armpits are becoming effected as well.

She doesn't lick her belly or seem to be bothered by it, except that she occasionally scratches the back of her thighs with her mouth. I've also put Cortizone creme on her belly and nothing seems to be working...

I thought the mosquito fogger I used two weeks ago on the backyard grass could have had something to do with it since the "rash" started on the back of her legs (i.e. when she squats), but I didn't let the dogs out in the backyard for at least two hours after I fogged and again, Koda has no symptoms.

Also, the "rash" didn't start showing up until about 4 days later. Some of the red bumps now have small puss pockets (pimples) like how an ant bite would appear a day or two after a bite.

I've checked the back yard and we have no ant piles anywhere and like I said, she's indoor practically the whole day. If she does go out I am almost always with her the whole time, so I should have noticed if she was bitten by anything.
I work from home so both dogs are inside the majority of the day and only go outside to potty or chase a neighborhood squirrel.

Any ideas? I hope this is enough information. :)

Comments for Belly and Leg "Rash" on Dog

My Online Vet Response to Belly and Leg "Rash" on Dog

Hi Angela,
Good photo of Scout. Her hair coat is very thin from what I can tell from the photo, and with the eruptions on her belly, thighs and chest, there is some redness on her skin.

From your description of her skin condition and the results from her previous allergy testing, I would be suspicious of a flea allergy (did the allergy testing include fleas?), even though you have not seen any. But you did say, "since the "rash" started on the back of her legs", and that is where flea allergy would start (and/or chiggers - I do not know if there are chiggers in your part of Texas), or just secondary bacterial infection, which would account for the little pimples and the initial peeling areas that you first noticed.

The dose for Benadryl in a dog is 1 mg per pound of body weight. For Scout, 90 lbs, she would need about 90 mg. Over the counter Benadryl contains 25mg, so you could give her at least 3 tablets 2-3 times daily if you need to help control itching. Be aware that it does cause drowsiness.

A 'healthier' alternative would be to give her 2 tablets of Antronex by Standard Process, a glandular supplement from Standard Process, 2 times daily which will help the liver remove histamine from the skin.

She should have a bath once a week with oatmeal shampoo to give her some relief and remove some of the 'surface' bacteria. Keep her skin clean and dry - topical creams are not very effective and tend to attract dirt and bacteria.

Ask your vet for a complete blood panel (that includes thyroid) to make sure Scout has no other problems such as anemia, poor immune system, hypothyroidism, etc.

I also recommend a skin scraping to rule out any mites.

You should also do everything you can to improve her diet, including the addition of some raw meat. See our Dog Food section for more on this.

(Response continued below)

(My Online Vet response continued from above)

(continued from above)

Dry dog food will not provide enough moisture to help the skin heal. For additional "foundation" advice about skin issues, see our Dog Skin Conditions / Dog Skin Disorders page.

And most importantly, seek out the help of a local holistic veterinarian. Even if it is difficult to find the diagnosis, with the symptoms that she is showing, she should respond to some homeopathic remedies.

What do you think

My dog skin is very very simalar right now. She has this red bumps on her back legs and belly. I've been using diaper rash cream believe it or not. Not sure if this is good or bad for her. I just don't have the money to have her be seen and the diaper rash cream seems to be working. I like to put it on her twice a day when she lets me. I don't think she likes the smell. I noticed she getting some redness around her mouth as well. Any thoughts?

My Online Vet Response for Belly and Leg "Rash" on Dog

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

I'm from Deer park, Tx and my dog has the same exact rash and he is 6 months old.
by: Kim

2 weeks ago my 6 month old wirepoo + schnauzer mix pup came up with this rash overnight, we have tried benadryl, hydracortisone spray and nothing is working. The rash is on the inside of his legs, on his belly and now one has showed up on his chest and its still spreading, I have seen a few that look like they are peeling and the next day it will be light red. others have turned beige one day just to turn light red the next. I am taking my pup to the vet tomorrow to try and find out what this is. It doesn't seem to bother him too much and rarely bites at it.

My Online Vet Response for: Belly and Leg "Rash" on Dog

Hi Kim,
From your description, it sounds like superficial pyoderma caused by Staph bacteria. Keep us posted on what diagnosis your veterinarian gives. Since your dog is so young, it would be best to treat holistically, and NOT use cortisone or antibiotics to suppress the symptoms, but improve nutrition, boost the immune system, and decrease vaccinations.

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help more, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Chigger bites on the dogs

These pictures look like CHIGGER bites. Check into that.

Chiggers

Those are likely to be chigger bites. Chiggers become prevalent in the spring and dogs have merely to stand in the yard and before long, they are covered in bites. Flea bites are a possibility but you will find that even after a flea treatment on the dogs, that they still have those bites all over the stomach area, which indicates that they are being bitten by chiggers from being outside.

Regarding the possibility of the rash being chigger bites, you are correct that the appearance would be VERY similar. But none of the dogs with the rash seemed to be bothered very much by the rash. A few were licking a small amount. Chigger bites are characterized by *insane* itching and scratching!

The chiggers not only bite, but their saliva contains an enzyme that will *burrow* deeper into the tissues under the skin. This tissue destruction causes severe swelling and inflammation, that results in the 'victim' scratching non-stop in an effort to try to *remove* the burning/stinging sensation.

my puppy has a rash NEW
by: tori

my 4 month old puppy has developed the rash on his stomach, thighs, and armpits im not sure wat its from but he has not gotten his shots yet im very nervous I hope someone can help me

My Online Vet Response for: Belly and Leg NEW

June 22, 2014

Hi Tori,

For your 4 month old puppy, thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).