Bare Spot on Dog's Elbow - Mast Cell Tumor?

by Mark
(California, USA)

Lady's elbow

Lady's elbow

There is a bare spot on my dog's right elbow, with another bare spot forming on her left elbow. Looks like mange to me.

She is a 10 year old female Black Lab and is currently taking daily thyroid supplements.

A couple of months ago, she started developing a bare spot on her front right elbow. Now it is a little over an inch in diameter and it looks like she is getting one on the left side. What should I do about them?

Thanks!

Comments for Bare Spot on Dog's Elbow - Mast Cell Tumor?

My Online Vet Response to Bare spot on Dog's Elbow

Hi Mark,
From the photo of Lady's elbow, it appears that she has hair loss with some 'ulcerated' pink, raw areas. I am very concerned that this may be the beginning of mast cell tumor. You did not mention if she has been scratching her elbows, or scratching anywhere else. Sarcoptic Mange is characterized by intense itching, day and night.

Mange can be easily diagnosed with a skin scraping. You may be thinking that Lady has sarcoptic mange or scabies, which does involve the elbows, chest and ear flaps. But it does not look like your photo at all.

I would suggest you locate a holistic veterinarian in your area. To do this, look in the left column under Health/Wellness, and click on Alternative Care, then scroll down to Find a Vet in your area (or click here).

I would suggest having a complete blood panel, and perhaps an 'impression smear' to diagnose the problem. Hopefully, with holistic care, Lady will start on a healthy dog food diet, specifically to help her skin and hair coat. Dog dietary supplements to help the thyroid condition. And perhaps homeopathic remedies to restore her health, depending on the lab results, and Lady's physical exam and history.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section