Bad Acne All Over Dog's Body

by Michael
(Kanchanaburi, Thailand)

Acne on My Dog's Body

Acne on My Dog's Body

I have a 5 month old male Thai Ridge Back pedigree with a very bad pimple-like acne rash all over his body except his face.

I live in Thailand and this dog gets the best of care... he eats Royal Canine for his dry food and rice and meat for his wet food. He gets dentine bones for his teeth and is wormed regularly.

He first got the rash which started about 2 months ago on the back of his neck in the area of his injections straight after his vaccinations for rabies and parvo. The rash spread to the rest of his body in 2 - 3 weeks.

He itches and scratches but I think not too much as he seems to be very healthy but for the rash.

I have had him to 2 or 3 local vets already. First they thought it was mange, but they have taken scrapings and don't think it is any one of the 3 types of mange. They have taken blood on 3 occasions to check his immunity level and it was very low with a count in the 40s. They then gave him some type of supplement and the antibiotics but his acne remains quite bad.

The breeder says that these dogs are so inbred that they almost all have very low immune systems, and short haired dogs like mine are very susceptible to skin rashes here in Thailand. I have read the section on your site regarding dog acne and it may be caused due to anti vaccines so I think that's what may be the problem.

He is currently on a course of antibiotics doxy and pills to lift his blood count. His condition has improved slightly with regular washing with no soap shampoos but I need to know we are on the right track.

The last vet said treat him for a month or so on these pills and try to illuminate the fact its not bacteria. He then wants to send him for an allergy test where they check for 250 types of allergies and the dog has to have a general antistatic.

What has my dog got and how should I treat it?

Regards, Mick

Comments for Bad Acne All Over Dog's Body

My Online Vet Response for: Bad Acne All over Dog's Body

April 23, 2013

Hi Mick,

My sympathy goes out to you for your poor puppy!! From the photo and your description of what has occurred in his short life, I do not believe that he has an allergy. I suspect this is more of a hereditary condition and the diagnosis would require a skin biopsy.

I am not sure if that would be included in the "allergy test where they check for 250 types of allergies and the dog has to have a general antistatic." Yes, a general anesthetic would be required. I am not sure this is necessary at this time. It will only subject him to more stress, and the less stress he has the better!!

In holistic terms, he has become more 'susceptible' to his hereditary skin condition due to the vaccinations that were given. Therefore, he should NOT be vaccinated again until he is completely back to normal. I am not sure if that is possible, and if he is greatly improved, there is still the possibility if he is re-vaccinated that this condition will return.

Here's what I suggest:

1.If you can locate a holistic veterinarian, have an exemption form written to 'excuse' him from further vaccinations.

2. Bathe him one to two times per week with a mild oatmeal shampoo.

3. Make him wear a white cotton T-shirt to protect his skin.

4. Gradually switch from dry dog food to canned, and add some raw meat to his diet. NO RAW FISH and NO RAW PORK. Dry food is not healthy for dogs.

5. Add one of the following to his diet to boost his immune system:

6. Give him the homeopathic remedy Thuya 6c or 12c two times daily for the next 3-6 weeks.

I do not think the antibiotic Doxycycline should be given for such a long time, (or at all). If you wish to give the antibiotic, then DO NOT give the homeopathic remedy, since the antibiotic will interfere with its action. But, you will need to supplement him with acidophilus to provide the proper flora to his gut.