ask a vet online

Sample Questions & Answers from Other Visitors

We've included 3 sample Q & A's from other visitors for your review...

between 1st paragraph & top bullets

Click here to go back the sign up page to ask your own question.

Skin lumps/lesions

by Denise Libby
(Coral Springs, FL)

Skin Lumps

Skin Lumps

Approx. two weeks ago little bumps appeared on her flank. They grew in diameter and then began appearing all over her body. The bump oozes (no pus) and scabs. Approx. 50 - 75 sites from head to toe.

Regular vet did needle aspiration of 4 sites with no real diagnosis (due to poor collection). Wanted to put her on antibiotics and do biopsy.

Holistic Vet put her on congeplex and dermal support as he is unsure what this is.

She is not itching, but seems uncomfortable. Wears blow up e collar to prevent licking.

Would like some direction as to what this is and how to care for it.

12 year old spayed female golden retriever. Raw food/home cooked diet only.

3 months ago had liver lobectomy due to benign hyperplastic nodule.

Comments for Skin lumps/lesions

My Online Vet Response

Hi Denise,

The photo you posted shows lesions that I would consider to be more typical of an allergic reaction and more typical of unhealthy skin, that is slow to heal. Especially considering how quickly they have appeared, and how fast they have spread. You did not mention if she has had any blood work done. A blood sample would be helpful in differentiating between an infection vs an allergy.Also, a culture & sensitivity would tell if there is a bacterial cause.

If she has been on a raw diet all of her life, she should be pretty healthy. Therefore, I would look for recent exposure to vaccinations, drugs, (such as the anesthesia she had for the liver lobectomy), any other toxins in her environment, pesticides, fertilizer. or even exposure to insects.

The cause of the problem will determine the treatment. In the meantime, providing internal support for her immune system, and external support for her skin will be best. Such as bathing with an oatmeal/aloe shampoo, and supplementing with Vitamin C, (the buffered form) and Immuplex, a glandular supplement to support the immune system.

I would also check the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy site for a veterinarian trained in homeopathy. A diagnosis is not really necessary to treat the disease, since homeopathic remedies are selected based on the symptoms of the patient.

Please keep us posted!

Click here to go back to the sign up page to ask your  question

Behavior Problems

by Julia
(Orlando, FL, USA)

Do you treat behavior problems? My dog Chester is a 2 year old male Jack Russell Terrier. He is very friendly and very active, but seems to become 'overly' excitable and hyperactive when around other dogs, children, or if I have a group of people at the house.

He seems to forget all of his discipline training, and runs around like a 'crazy dog'. He does not seem aggressive. I am feeding him an Organic diet part canned and part dry. His vaccinations are current, and it is possible that this problem became worse after he had his Rabies booster.

He spends most of his time inside while my husband and I are at work all day. Do you have any suggestions that might help? He is driving us crazy!

Comments for Behavior Problems

My Online Vet Response

Dear Julia, Behavior can be very gratifying to correct, but it does take time and patience for it to be successful.

Breed, sex, vaccinations, and diet, will all be a factor.

BREED. The Jack Russell, is very active, and tenacious. They were bred to burrow down the hole of a badger or other 'varmint', wearing a harness and leash, bite onto the prey, and then allow themselves to be pulled backwards out of the hole, with the creature clamped in their jaws! Therefore, they need a lot of exercise! You will need to take Chester out for a walk before you go to work in the morning, and when you get home. Consider having someone come by to walk him at the lunch hour. There are a variety of 'puzzle' type toys, that will keep a dogs' interest, and periodically give them a reward. Buster Cubes are an example. Some behaviorists will suggest adopting another dog, of similar size as a 'playmate' since dogs are pack animals.

You did not mention if Chester was neutered. Neutering him, and improving his discipline level,will help him become more calm. To improve his discipline level, you need to use a treat that is his most favorite food. Ask a friend to help you out. You should plan to spend 2-3 hours once or twice per week for at least 6 weeks, to 'train' Chester. They can come over and ring the doorbell. When Chester goes crazy barking and running to the door, have his favorite treat ready, and place a 'bed' or mat near the door. Make him lay down or sit on his 'bed', then give a 'shush' or be quiet command, and if he obeys he gets a treat. If he does not obey, tell your friend to walk away, and come back in about 5 minutes. Of course, the first 3-4 times your friend rings the doorbell, Chester will probably be too excited to even listen to you, in which case he does not get a treat, and he does not get to see who is at the door! The goal is to make Chester pay attention to you, whether it is inside the house or outside on a trail. For more behavior advice, see Dr. Ian Dunbar's website or just Google "Dr. Ian Dunbar".

VACCINATIONS are being blamed for Autism, Attention Deficit Disorder and Hyperactivity in children. Veterinary medicine is similar. Therefore, make sure that he does not receive any more vaccinations, and find a holistic or homeopathic veterinarian to guide you on the best plan for him, until he is 100% back to normal. Even then, it is not unusual to have the problem return after receiving another vaccination, especially for Rabies. Check into obtaining Antibody titers for Rabies, Distemper and Parvo.

DIET is also important. Feeding an organic diet and avoiding artificial colors and preservatives is a good start. Consultation with a holistic vet will help in finding the best diet.

Click here to go back to the sign up page to ask your question.

Chronic Ear Infections

by Susan
(St. Charles, Illinois, USA)

It seems that ever since he has been about 5 or 6 months old, my Cocker Spaniel has had chronic ear infections. He is 1 1/2 years old (I adopted him when he was 8 weeks old), he has had all of his vaccinations, and he was neutered when he was 6 months old.

He has had many antibiotic ointments, oral antibiotics, oral cortisone, and oral antihistamines. It seems that the treatments will work at first, then when I am finished with the medicine, the ear infections just come right back. I have tried to avoid corn and wheat in his diet. Do you have any suggestions that might help? I do not want him to suffer the rest of his life with ear infections.

Comments for Chronic Ear Infections

My Online Vet Response

Dear Susan,

Cocker Spaniels, and other breeds of dogs with the long floppy ears are commonly plagued with ear infections. A dog's ear canal is twice as long as a human ear canal. It is in the shape of an 'L'. The vertical portion is the part you see first to clean out, the horizontal portion is the part that extends inward toward the ear drum. Since the ear canal is cartilage, it is rigid, and you will not 'poke' the ear drum even if you use a gauze and your finger to go down the vertical ear canal to clean it. The rigidity will prevent your finger or Q-Tip from going around the bend into the horizontal section.

Since the ear canal is so long, and it is dark and warm, when the ear is 'closed' with a long hairy ear flap, if any moisture gets into the ear canal, then it is the perfect environment for yeast and/or bacteria. Remember that in nature, wolves, coyotes, foxes, and wild canids, all have upright ears that will serve to make it easier to air out any moisture. It has been us humans that bred dogs to have long floppy ears to make them look 'cute'. See our dog ear cleaning solution page to learn the proper way to clean out your dog's ears.

Now, there are also many long eared dogs that never have a problem with ear infections. If a dog has a healthy constitution, on a healthy diet to support a strong immune system, and only minimal vaccinations you can avoid a lifetime of chronic ear problems.

With the history that you have described with Drake, I am very suspicious that vaccinations may be the underlying culprit that triggered the 'susceptibility' for ear infections. Drake may have a mild food allergy, or sensitivity, so your insight into avoiding some of the allergenic components of commercial dog food is very good. With the appropriate holistic treatments, homeopathic remedies, and natural ear cleaners and avoidance of vaccinations, Drake should lead a healthy life, pain free from ear infections.

See the bottom of our Dog Vet Care page to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.