Angry Bleeding Wart/Tumour/Ulcer on Dog

by Peg

Wart/Tumour/Ulcer On Dog's Hip (Taken 7/9/14)

Sasha
Sasha Tumour Update: 7/18/14

Our dog has a melon sized tumour on her upper hip - but it doesn't appear to bother her - not even a limp! Pull out a frisbee or tennis ball on the dock and she still acts like a puppy.

Sasha doesn't seem to be in any kind of discomfort or distress, with the exception of the itchy, bleeding growth on the top of her head. She heads out to roll and scratch her tumour/ulcer/wart until it bleeds.

Unfortunately, she'll scratch herself against walls and furniture as well, and the bloody mess is awful.

The growth has more than doubled in size in the past couple of months. It looks ok when it's clean and dry, but that doesn't happen much any more.

I have a pretty good selection of essential oils on hand. We have tried frankincense but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Sasha, a beautiful yellow lab, will turn 14 in September. Her appetite and energy levels are amazing.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Peg

Comments for Angry Bleeding Wart/Tumour/Ulcer on Dog

My Online Vet Response for: Angry Bleeding Wart/Tumour/Ulcer on Dog

July 10, 2014

Hi Peg,
This is a benign wart. It has burst open, and the best treatment, will be to treat it as an open wound. You will need to clip/shave the hair around it, so that there is no hair touching it. Clean it with hydrogen peroxide two times daily, followed by an application of Styptic powder or a silver nitrate stick, which will control bleeding.

She is scratching and itching because bacteria from the skin is causing inflammation. You may need to make her wear one of the *soft* E-collars to prevent her from causing more damage while you are helping it heal.

Do not apply ointments or oils, as that will keep it moist. It needs to be kept clean and dry to allow it to form a scab. Yes, essential oils are useful for healing, but in this instance, Sasha will do better with the homeopathic remedy called Thuya, (Thuja occidentalis). This remedy is indicated for warts, tumors, masses and cancer, especially when too many vaccinations have been given. (You mentioned that she has a 'melon' sized mass over her hip area. I suspect this is a benign lipoma, probably appearing after a vaccination several years ago.)

Give her Thuya 6C or 12C one pellet by mouth, TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks.

**OR**

Dissolve one pellet in 2 oz of Spring Water in a glass dropper bottle. Shake it by hitting it against the palm of your hand, 20 times. (called succussing the remedy) And give Sasha 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks.

Homeopathic remedies are available from health food stores, or online, amazon.com, Boiron, Washington Homeopathic, and numerous other sources.

Report back in one month.

In the meantime, DO NOT give her any vaccinations ever again. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.

Hopeful
by: Peg

Wow, that all sounds so very hopeful Dr. Tillman. For a 14 year old yellow lab, Sasha still has the appetite of a puppy and pretty impressive energy levels. I'm excited to hear that there is even a chance that her bumps are benign. We will start your recommended protocols as soon as we can source the products!
Thanks so much!
Peg

July 15, 2014

Hi Peg,
I was hoping you had posted a photo showing the bleeding wart clipped and cleaned by now! While you are waiting for the products to arrive, you can clip and clean it. Just doing that will help Sasha feel more comfortable.

Photo Added
by: Jeff (administrator)

Editors Note: Peg emailed a photo which has been added to the top of the page (click small photos beneath larger photo).

My Online Vet Response For: Angry, Bleeding Wart/Tumour/Ulcer on Dog

July 18, 2014

Hi Peg
What a great job you did cleaning up Sasha's growth/wart area!! Is she still trying to rub or scratch it?

Have you started her on the Thuya yet?

She might need to have one of these supplements to help boost her immune system, if she responds too slowly to the Thuya.

Wart appears to be shrinking
by: Peg

Hi Dr. Tillman,
My husband has been taking care of Sasha, and mentioned yesterday that the wart appears to be shrinking. He mentioned that she has bumped it open a couple of times, but he thinks he is noticing a difference. He mentioned that he had been giving her the Thuya mixed in her food. I mentioned that he needed to give it to his straight, powered, into her mouth. That's what the person at the health food store suggested. He was going to start doing that as of yesterday.

Wart appears to be shrinking
by: Peg

Hi Dr. Tillman,

My Online Vet Response For: Angry Bleeding Wart/Tumour/Ulcer on Dog

July 21, 2014

Hi Peg,
Yes, that is correct. The homeopathic remedy, Thuya, needs to be put directly into her mouth, NOT into her food.

If that is too difficult, you can dissolve one pellet of the Thuya into a 2 oz bottle of Spring Water. And give it to her with an eye dropper, directly into her mouth. You need to shake, or 'succuss' the remedy, by hitting the bottle 20 times against the palm of your hand prior to each dose.

my dog has the same thing. NEW

Did you cover it with a bandage at all or let it breathe all the time?