Aggressive Young Stud Cat

by Sarah
(United Kingdom)

My young male cat now lives out in his heated stud quarters. As I do with all my males he always has female company as I hate the boys to get lonely and would never let them live alone. However, for the last four months he has been very aggressive to any female cat I put near him.

He gets used to each individual girl after a few weeks but until then he terrorises them. He attacks them in a sneaky way and makes a strange territorial yowling noise and lip slapping like you see in feral male cats when they are fighting.

He has shown none of the usual charismatic stud male charm that it takes to win the girls over for mating he is vile.

I am wondering if this is a case of the teenage tantrums and he is simply being mean to the girls because he likes them and knows no other way, or is this just a confidence thing and an extension to his initial timid behaviour?

He is a young Ragdoll who is just approaching a year and 1/2 old. I bought him from a well known traditional Ragdoll breeder in the UK. And when I brought him home he was lovely looking with an amazing pedigree. But he was very timid and nervous of other cats at first.

I must add he is very friendly to me always in exactly the way a Ragdoll cat should be.

Can you suggest a homeopathic remedy or remedies that may help ease his fear, anger, etc that will allow him to enjoy the company of his lady cats and then when the time is right win them over for mating?

Many Thanks,
Uk Ragdoll Cat breeder

Comments for Aggressive Young Stud Cat

My Online Vet Response For: Aggressive Young Stud Cat

Hi Sarah,
For your 1 1/2 year old intact male Ragdoll who has become more aggressive over the past 4 months which coincides with the age at which he has reached sexual maturity...

It sounds like he is not been socialized too well, since you wrote, "he was very timid and nervous of other cats at first." So, as his testosterone level is at its peak and he is not properly socialized, he WILL act inappropriately toward other cats, but still be very friendly to humans!

"wondering if this is a case of the teenage tantrums and he is simply being mean to the girls because he likes them and knows no other way, or is this just a confidence thing and an extension to his initial timid behaviour?"

It is a combination of BOTH! And this is not an easy problem with which to deal. In some cases the solution is to neuter them, and search for a stud with a GOOD personality, (towards cats AND humans), and a GOOD pedigree!

In the meantime, here are some things to work on:

I. Socialization:

Socialization should occur in kittens between the ages of 9-12 weeks of age. A time when they are handled by humans, and also learning how to interact around their littermates.

Since we have passed that stage now, perhaps you can observe how he interacts with neutered male and spayed female cats. Give him a 2-3 week gradual introduction period, to see if he is able to behave himself properly.

II. Aids to help in this process:

1. Feliway is a natural pheromone product in the USA, which should be available in the UK. It comes in a spray and in a diffuser. Useful to spray onto surfaces, furniture, corners of the wall or cage, etc. wherever a cat would rub their 'cheek' area spreading/marking their territory.

2. Bach flower essences, use a combination of Rescue Remedy 10 drops, plus 5 drops Aspen, plus 5 drops Mimulus, 5 drops Walnut, and 5 drops of Beech, mixed in a 2 - 4 oz bottle of Spring Water. Give by mouth or add to the water 2 times daily for the next 3 weeks.

3. Homeopathic remedies--

In Dr. Pitcairn's New World Repertory, in the mind section under quarrelsome, 'fights with other cats' the ONLY remedy is Silicea!

Staphysagria is a remedy I have used for cats with poor 'self-confidence' not able to stand up for themselves.

Searching the repertory, and combining together irritable, anxiety causes aggression, fear based aggression, the three top remedies are Aconite, Lycopodium, and Belladonna.

My Online Vet Response for: Aggressive Young Stud Cat PART TWO

Hi Sarah,
Here is the rest of my response.

Each of these remedies are very distinctive. I would need more information regarding this cat's individual personality, likes and dislikes, etc to prescribe for him. A holistic veterinarian should be consulted to help choose a remedy, potency, and frequency.