Adding Vitamins to Your Dog's Food

by Sarah
(Phoenix, AZ, USA)

My 7 month old Chihuahua has been on a homemade diet for about 2 weeks now (she loves it). Everything is cooked, pureed, and mixed together, then frozen in individual packets for each meal. One meal at 8AM, a smaller meal at 5PM, and dinner at 8-8:30PM. I add a supplement powder consisting of Brewer's Yeast, Oat Bran, Kelp Powder, Alfalfa Powder, Lecithin Granules, and Bone Meal. I also add 1/2 TBS vegetable oil to each meal.

Here are the percentages of her meals:

-40 Percent Protein (made up of 80% cooked meat, 20% dairy/Boiled Eggs)
-30 Percent Carbs (made up of 50% grains, 40% starchy vegetables, 10% beans)
-20 Percent Veggies (70% root & stalk, 30% leafy greens)
-10 Percent Boiled Hearts & Gizzards (organ meat)

My question is, can I also add to one meal 400 MG Cod Liver Oil, and 400IU Vitamin E once a week instead of a smaller amount daily?

Would it be ok to mix the contents of these gel caps together in a small glass spray bottle, then spritz a few times onto her meal once a week?

Comments for Adding Vitamins to Your Dog's Food

My Online Vet Response for: Adding Vitamins to Your Dog's Food

Hi Sarah,
The homemade diet sounds fairly balanced for your growing Chihuahua, but I suggest eliminating the dairy component since she is getting adequate Calcium from the Bone meal.

I do not think that adding the Cod Liver Oil and that much Vit E in one meal one time per week is very balanced, and it might cause a Vit A toxicity if all of the Cod Liver oil is provided at one time.

Dr. Richard Pitcairn has some excellent recipes for growing puppies in his book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. His recipes incorporate all of the vitamins added when making up one large batch of food, and then dividing it up into individual portions.

Of course, seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to examine your puppy to make sure the homemade diet is meeting all of her needs for growth and healthy bones, would be a good idea.

Along with minimal vaccinations, checking for parasites, and having a well rounded personality with obedience training is also important.

- Dog Dietary Supplements
- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section