Back to Back Issues Page
OPD's Dog Care Monthly, Issue #013-- Introducing "My Online Vet"
July 20, 2009

Issue #013, July 2009

Stay on top of the latest dog care research and trends for knowledge that will help to keep your dog healthy and happy. Each month's edition of OPD's Dog Care Monthly will include:

OPD's Dog Care MonthlyDog Care News You Can Use - including research, trends, real-life stories, veterinarian advice and any information that we know you'll want to hear to help you take better care of your dog.

OPD's Dog Care MonthlyOrganic Pet Digest Web Site Updates - important additions and updates that shouldn't be missed. We sift through all of our advice and tools and bring to your attention to the best of the best of what's new.

If you like this e-zine, please do a friend and us a big favor and "pay it forward."

If a friend DID forward this to you and if you like what you read, please subscribe by clicking here.

In This Issue

Dog Care News You Can Use AND OPD Web Site Updates:

• My Online Vet is Ready for Your Dog Care Questions

• Organic, Natural and Holistic Dog Care
    News You Can Use

My Online Vet is Ready for Your Dog Care Questions

First, thanks to many of you for taking the time to complete our survey about online vet advice. After your overwhelmingly positive response, we have decided to move forward and launch the brand new, one-of-a-kind My Online Vet!

My Online Vet is a place you can go to get the quality answers you need from a licensed holistic/conventional veterinarian right when you need them, no expensive appointments necessary.

Did you wake up this morning to find a wet spot on your dogís bed? Is there a strange rash developing on their skin? Do you want to find out the cause of the problem, the severity of the problem and the best course of action including at-home treatment options?

No dog care question is off-limits. Submit your question (along with a picture if you have one), to My Online Vet and receive a detailed answer from a licensed vet by the end of that same day.

This service is not meant to replace the advice of your current veterinarian. Rather, itís meant to give you a much less expensive and less time-consuming resource for peace of mind and the best course of action about ANY dog care issue.

My Online Vet is unique for several reasons.

First is the intimate, one-on-one advice you will get from our veterinarians. You will develop a trusting relationship, as we will keep you matched up with the same vet for all of your questions. You will be able to count on the fact that the answers you receive will be written with care and special consideration for your specific issue.

In addition, our veterinarians are trained and licensed both holistically and conventionally, so you can let them know if you are interested in trying a natural remedy, if you would prefer a more conventional approach or if you want them to choose the best of both worlds based on their experiences. To view biographies of our veterinarians, click here.

One of the best ways to understand how My Online Vet works is to view questions and answers from other visitors. Here is one of the questions we received along with the response from Dr. Carol Jean Tillman DVM, one of our veterinarians...

Question from Claudia out of Sacramento, CA, USA

"For the past several weeks I have noticed that when my dog wakes up in the morning she is wet around her hind quarters where she has leaked urine. What is wrong with her, and what can I do to help her?

My dog is a female spayed, 8 year old German Shepherd. She is still fairly active, and has a big yard for exercise. She sleeps indoors at night. She has been house trained her whole life, and has never had any accidents."

My Online Vet Response

"Dear Claudia,

Jessie sounds like she has urinary incontinence. It is not unusual in older, spayed female dogs. In the anatomy of female dogs, the urethra, (which connects the bladder to the outside through the vulva), actually branches off from the vaginal tract. Meaning that when a female dog urinates, the urine is running through the urethra then through the vagina to exit out of the vulva. It also means that the 'shared' tissue between the vaginal tract and the urethra are both sensitive to estrogen. You did not mention if Jessie was normal weight or not. Starting her on a good diet for weight loss will also help.

When she is spayed, the ovaries and uterus are removed. The ovaries are the main source of estrogen. Since the adrenal glands also produce some estrogen, and testosterone, that is enough for most dogs to keep their hormones in balance. In those situations where the adrenal glands are not able to produce enough hormones, especially estrogen, you will see that the bladder sphincter will lose its tone and become lax, allowing urine to leak out of the bladder. When an external source of estrogen is given to her, the incontinence will clear up. But there are problems giving long term supplementation of estrogen, therefore alternative methods are much preferred.

There are other causes also. If Jessie has a bladder infection, that will make her urinate more frequently and cause inflammation of the vaginal tract and urethra. A vaginitis will also cause irritation and sometimes there is a discharge. If Jessie has some arthritis, or bone spurs or calcium deposits 'pinching' a nerve especially a nerve that controls urination it may result in urinary incontinence. Contact a holistic veterinarian knowledgeable in Acupuncture and Chinese herbs to help the urinary incontinence (directories can be found via the IVAS and Chi Institute websites). They should also provide a physical examination with a urinalysis and start your dog on some glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. In discussions about the diet for weight loss, also discuss nutrients to boost her immune system."

To take a look at the questions and answers that have already been submitted to My Online Vet, click here and scroll down to the "Questions & Answers from Other Visitors" section.

My Online Vet allows you to ask 3 questions per month for only $9.95Ö about ľ the cost and a fraction of the time spent on a single trip to your vetís office.

Check out our My Online Vet page for the rest of the details, and we look forward to your questions!

Comments? Ideas? Feedback? We'd love to hear from you. Just reply to this zine and tell us what you think!

Back to Back Issues Page