Back to Back Issues Page
OPD's Dog Care Monthly, Issue #002 -- Beat the Heat!
August 02, 2008

Issue #002, August 2008

Stay on top of the latest dog care research and trends for knowledge that will help to keep your dog healthy and happy. Each month's edition of OPD's Dog Care Monthly will include:

OPD's Dog Care MonthlyDog Care News You Can Use - including research, trends, real-life stories, veterinarian advice and any information that we know you'll want to hear to help you take better care of your dog.

OPD's Dog Care MonthlyOrganic Pet Digest Web Site Updates - important additions and updates that shouldn't be missed. We sift through all of our advice and tools and bring to your attention to the best of the best of what's new.

If you like this e-zine, please do a friend and me a big favor and "pay it forward."

If a friend DID forward this to you and if you like what you read, please subscribe by clicking here.

In This Issue

Dog Care News You Can Use:

• Beat the Summer Heat- Keep Your Hot Dog Cool!

• Dog’s Death at Local Kennel Makes National News

Organic Pet Digest Web Site Updates:

• Home Treatments for Dog Skin Conditions

Organic, Natural and Holistic Dog Care
News You Can Use

Beat the Summer Heat- Keep Your Hot Dog Cool!

It’s August and the days are still long, the mosquitoes are still biting and our furry dogs are still enduring the intense summer heat. It is important to use all precautions to protect our dogs from excessive heat exposure:

• Take walks in the early morning or late afternoon hours
  • Watch out for extremely hot pavement, walk on soft porous surfaces when possible
  • Provide your dog with plenty of water
  • Allow your dog to stop and take a rest in the shade
  • Try freezing a bandana or cloth and wrapping it around your dog’s neck prior to a walk
  • Never leave your dog in a car on a hot day for more than just a few minutes

Dog’s Death at Local Kennel Makes National News

Amanda and Keith Bushey, a young couple, arrived home from vacation and stopped at the kennel to pick up Sushi, their 2-year-old Labrador Retriever.

Amanda Bushey re-tells their horrific experience, “As we were entering the building, we heard screaming from the back. This woman came running out in a panic, on a cell phone… I looked at her and said, ‘Where is my dog? Where is my dog? She said, ‘Everything’s fine. Everything’s fine.’ But clearly everything wasn’t fine.” The Bushey’s ran to the back of the facility to find their dog Sushi lying unconscious in the grooming area. He was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.

Sushi’s tragic death was caused by the misuse of a kennel drying machine, which was used on the dog at an excessive temperature of 100 degrees for 30 minutes.

These drying machines are safe when used correctly, but the problem arises with the lack of knowledge, experience and regulations in the grooming industry.

We wanted to share this story and get the word out about these machines and groomers in general. Always interview the groomers taking care of your dog, and make sure you are bringing your dog to a licensed facility with a knowledgeable grooming staff. Ask for a tour of the facility and be sure you know everything that will be used on your dog.

Click here for the full story.

OPD Web Site Updates

Home Treatments for Dog Skin Conditions

Does your dog have an itch that they just doesn’t seem to go away? What about a strange rash that has formed on a certain part of their skin?

If so, it would be beneficial for you to check out our new articles new articles on dog skin conditions and disorders. We offer a detailed description of all the common dog skin conditions and supply you with natural, at home treatments to ease their suffering and yours!

Comments? Ideas? Feedback? We'd love to hear from you. Just reply to this zine and tell us what you think!

Back to Back Issues Page