3 Half Dollar Sized, Flat Red Patches with White Center on Dog's Groin, Rear Armpit and Neck

by Laura
(Philadelphia PA)

Half-dollar sized rash with flat, round red-patch and white center

Happy Boy Otis

Our dog Otis has 3 half-dollar sized rashes with flat, round red-patches and white centers - one on his rear armpit, one closer to the center of his groin and one on his neck. He also struggles with recurrent ear infections and has mild allergies.

We have now bathed him with an oatmeal based organic pet shampoo.

What is this? And how should we treat it?

Otis is a 10 month old Labradoodle.

Comments for 3 Half Dollar Sized, Flat Red Patches with White Center on Dog's Groin, Rear Armpit and Neck

My Online Vet Response for: 3 Half Dollar sized, flat Red Patches with White Center on dog's Groin, Rear Armpit and Neck

June 5, 2013

Hi Laura,

Since Otis is susceptible to skin problems, (recurrent ear infections and mild allergies), I suspect he has very sensitive skin which produces large reactions to minor injuries/stings/etc.

Considering the location of these 'donut' appearing rashes, I suspect they may be secondary to a tick bite.

You did not say how long these rashes have been present. If they persist longer than 3 weeks, and become worse, he should be seen by either a conventional veterinarian or preferably a holistic veterinarian.

At this time, I suggest you clip the hair from each of the lesions and clean them daily with hydrogen peroxide. Continue the oatmeal shampoo one time per week for 3 weeks. Some homeopathic remedies that might be helpful, are Sepia, Sulphur or Arnica.

Use a 6C or 12C potency, one pellet by mouth of ONE of the above three times daily for one week.

Sepia--for circular lesions, for patient that seems tired out, wants to be in room with owners but will stay at the periphery facing away.

Sulphur--for RED lesions, for very itchy lesions, for patient that never seems clean even after bathing regularly.

Arnica--for bruised painful lesions, patient does not want to be touched on that area.

Resoultion to the Original Three Patches
by: Laura

Dr. Tillman:

Many thanks for your response. Otis, very happily, responded immediately to the first oatmeal bath and a very light application of aloe gel on the one, most recent, patch. We have also shifted him to a grain free, organic and raw food diet, which he is tolerating well. We appreciate your help and advice.

Very best, Laura and Otis

pep

my dog just got something like that . what would a paralysis tick and i did think they were in victoria and u had to pull them off

My Online Vet Response for: 3 Half Dollar Sized, Flat Red Patches with White Center on Dog's Groin, Rear Armpit and Neck

Not sure if you had a question or not. If you wish to ask a question, I'm happy to help! But we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Ringworm

That looks just like ringworm.

December 7, 2014

On *human* skin, ringworm would look similar to this photo. But in dogs and cats, this is NOT what ringworm looks like. In fact the suggestions that I gave worked very well. The subscriber wrote,
" Otis, very happily, responded immediately to the first oatmeal bath and a very light application of aloe gel on the one, most recent, patch. We have also shifted him to a grain free, organic and raw food diet, which he is tolerating well."

If the problem were ringworm, it would have become worse, not better. So, my suspicion that is was a superficial pyoderma, must have been correct.