2 dog skin patches circular in shape missing fur and scaly looking

by Cindy Jakubin
(Westminster, CO USA)

My dog is experiencing 2 patches of fur that are eaisly pulled off, and the skin is circular & scaly in apperance. He is an overall healthy 6yr old shar-pei.

I did try Lotrimin for a couple of days since I used a UV light on him & it seemed to flores around the outer edges of his patches. I have attached the photos. I thought it might of been fungal so I applied the Lotrimin upon application the skin turned bright red and then with in about 20 minutes went back to normal color, I'm not sure if this is a negative reaction to the ointment.

Thank you.
Cindy

Comments for 2 dog skin patches circular in shape missing fur and scaly looking

My Online Vet Response for 2 Dog Skin Patches circular in shape missing fur and scaly looking

Hi Cindy,
You did an excellent job sending me a close-up view of the 2 patches. Unfortunately, you did not include much history. It is difficult to tell where on his body these patches are located. I do not know how long he has had the patches, nor if he is itching or scratching. Fungal lesions are usually flat, and these appear to be raised.

If he has had them over 2-3 weeks and they have been increasing in size, I would suspect they may be growths or a type of tumor, such as canine mast cell tumors.

The reaction to the Lotrimin lotion does sound like an allergic reaction.

Also, if he had a recent dog vaccination, exposure to a flea or tick preventive, or fed a new dog food, or changed to a new bedding, it could cause an immediate (within 1-2 days) appearance of welts or papules. But I would not advise any treatment unless you have a diagnosis.

I would definitely recommend a visit to a regular or holistic veterinarian for a skin scraping, fungus culture or even biopsy in order to obtain a diagnosis. And then proceed from there.
Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section.

Itchy pekinese
by: christine

I have a Pekinese at 16 years of age.He has a circular bald patch the size of a quarter on his back.It is scaly and crusty.I just had him groomed so i could have a better look at his skin.Once his fur was cut I discovered he has two of these circular patches on his back.I was curious of what this could be.After a little searching on the net,I came across the pictures of your dog.My dog's skin looks exactly identical to these pictures.A few months prior he was diagnosed and treated for mange.I thought maybe it wasn't quite cleared up before his treatments were finished.Could this be possibly be mange or a result of his treaments?He also appears to be itchy.He's too pudgy to reach there to scratch but rolls around on his back trying to relieve the itch.

My Online Vet Response for: 2 dog skin patches circular in shape missing fur and scaly looking

Hi Christine,
Thanks for your question about your itchy Pekingese dog.

I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

same thing! NEW

My Shar Pei Bella has the exact same thing! Did you ever find out what it is?? Need Help!!!!

cheri lee

Shar Pei Skin NEW

I have tried Ivermectin, prescription shampoos, home remedies, anything that would help my Shar-Pei and nothing really worked. I have learned that it was better to leave the patches alone and they would eventually heal on their own. The skin patches came and went usually around the time that his fur looked moth eaten. Here is a link,

http://www.drjwv.com/pdf/owners_guide.pdf

www.drjwv.com

Hope this helps!!

My Online Vet Response for: 2 dog skin patches circular in shape missing fur and scaly looking NEW

February 22, 2014

Dear Cheri Lee,
The previous posting, referring you to the Shar Pei site for info, http://www.drjwv.com/pdf/owners_guide.pdf was an anonymous posting, not from me, Dr Tillman.

This site provides an overview for Shar Pei in general and conventional treatment, not holistic care.

In the meantime, thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).