10 Best Dog Food Options
on the Market

Finding the 10 best dog food options wasn't an easy task. Very few consistently pass our Healthy Label Test dog food ratings with flying colors.

As covered in our How to Read a Dog Food Label article, dog foods must have the following at a minimum in order to receive a 5 out of 5 and make the 10 best dog food list:

• Main ingredient must be listed first on the ingredient list
  • Complete, balanced and 100% nutritious ingredients
  • Zero potentially harmful ingredients
  • Natural or organic ingredients
  • Contain no artificial colors, chemical preservatives or by-products
  • Ingredients must not have been exposed to antibiotics, herbicides or pesticides
  • Contain no "filler" foods (unhealthy food like sugar or corn syrup that takes the place of healthy food)
  • Contain no Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO's)
  • Be a canned or raw food (NOT dry)...

10 Best Dog Food Options: Wet Vs. Dry Dog Food

DRY dog food came into existence due to World War II. Before the war, pet food was only in cans. With the war came rationing. Metal was in short supply, and the government mandated that pet food was NON essential.

Pet Food companies did not want to go out of business, so they figured out how to 'bake'/'process' the canned food and put it into bags. This was only going to be temporary until the war was over.

When the war ended, the pet food companies discovered that people thought dry dog food was GREAT! It was easy and convenient... they could leave it out in a bowl all day and it did not smell! WOW, great 'FAST' food for dogs!

As would be expected, pet food companies did NOT re-call dry food as there was now a legitimate demand for both canned and dry food.

Put more simply, DRY dog food was NOT created or developed because it was healthier for dogs and cats.

In fact, the opposite is true...

Dogs' (and humans') bodies are made up of about 70% moisture, and they (and we) NEED that moisture in our diet for the proper functioning of the heart, kidneys, bladder, joints, hair/skin, etc.

Dry dog food has been overly processed and extruded by machine under pressure during manufacture. Adding water to it will not 'reconstitute' the meat back to its natural moist form. And drinking water alone does not provide the necessary levels of moisture to maintain a balanced system.

Dry dog food is also too calorie-dense, so dogs on a dry dog food are commonly overweight.

But what about your dog's teeth? Doesn't dry food help keep their teeth clean?

Canned and dry dog food will BOTH promote dental tartar. Dry dog food does NOT keep the teeth clean UNLESS it says it is a TARTAR control diet. Regardless of diet, dogs will need to have tartar control treats for their teeth (and continue to brush the teeth, too!).

In summary...

Feeding only a DRY Dog food is NOT healthy. It would be best to AVOID dry dog food altogether, and use canned or completely RAW diet (more on this below).

Back to top of 10 Best Dog Food Options

10 Best Dog Food Options by Category

YOUR Dog Care Stories

dog careHelp visitors like you by sharing your advice related to this page...

Below are the top foods from brands that consistently make the grade. Click the links below to jump down the page to the category that matches your dog.

IMPORTANT: It is our veterinarians' opinion that an organic, completely raw diet is best for dogs... it most closely resembles the diet that dogs ate in the wild before being domesticated and has been found to bolster the immune system and keep dogs much healthier than highly processed or cooked dog food (the only raw meats to AVOID would be fish and pork).

Click here to learn more about the benefits of feeding your dog a completely raw diet and which foods are best.

However, a completely raw diet can get very expensive, especially for larger dogs. If you cannot afford a completely raw diet, the suggestions below provide great second choices either as a supplement to a partially raw diet or as a standalone dog food diet.

If you're not sure which category your dog needs, see the pages referenced below or ask our veterinarians for advice via My Online Vet.

Back to top of 10 Best Dog Food Options

What kind of dog food do you feed your dog?

While our 10 Best Dog Food Options page reviews our favorites, we know that there are MANY other great options out there, including store-bought and homemade.

Tell us about your favorite dog food, such as:

- What's it called?
- Who makes it?
- If you make it, what's the recipe?
- Is there anything special about it that you really like?
- Why did you start feeding it to your dog?
- What score does it receive from the Healthy Label Test?

And be sure to include a picture of the dog food itself or of your dog eating it!

Enter the name and manufacturer of your favorite dog food (i.e. "Lamb & Rice Large Bites Dry Dog Food by California Natural")

Favorite Dog Food of Other Visitors

Click below to see other contributions...

Wysong 
I've tried several of the types you have listed, and they were great, but Wysong beats them all by miles. Especially their new Epigen line - the food has …

Best Dry Dog Food & Best Canned Dog Food - Visitor Rated Best Holistic Dog Food 
My dogs love Instinct canned food. Even the cats will eat it, but that's another story!

Barking At The Moon Solid Gold and Steve's Real Food Not rated yet
I like not having grains in my dogs' food. I think Solid Gold is a reputable company.

The Honest Kitchen and Orijen Not rated yet
When I don't have time to make my dog's food from scratch, I like The Honest Kitchen brand which is organic, human grade dehydrated food to which I add …

Acana ranchland Not rated yet
1. my 3 dogs love it! 2. the ingredients are incredible 3. free range meat 4. no chemicals, preservatives artificial colours 5. antibiotic and hormone …

Solid Gold Hunden Flocken Not rated yet
I have had great success feeding Solid Gold Hunchen/Hunden Flocken (puppy/adult)to Great Danes. As they are prone to allergies they need fairly pure food …

Healthy Radience by Beneful Not rated yet
My dog loves the food I buy for him, he gobbles it up, never hesitates to finish it right away. I must portion it out or he would founder if I give him …

Click here to write your own.

Back to top of 10 Best Dog Food Options

10 best dog foodCan't find your answer on this page? Our veterinarians will answer your specific question no later than tomorrow... click here to ask a veterinarian via My Online Vet.

You can also review related questions from other visitors here: Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.