10 Best Dog Food Options
on the Market
Finding the 10 best dog food options wasn't an easy task. Very few consistently pass our Healthy Label Test dog food ratings with flying colors.
As covered in our How to Read a Dog Food Label article, dog foods must have the following at a minimum in order to receive a 5 out of 5 and make the 10 best dog food list:
- Main ingredient must be listed first on the ingredient list
- Complete, balanced and 100% nutritious ingredients
- Zero potentially harmful ingredients
- Natural or organic ingredients
- Contain no artificial colors, chemical preservatives or by-products
- Ingredients must not have been exposed to antibiotics, herbicides or pesticides
- Contain no "filler" foods (unhealthy food like sugar or corn syrup that takes the place of healthy food)
- Contain no Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO's)
10 Best Dog Food Options by Category
YOUR Dog Care Stories
Help visitors like you by sharing your advice related to this page...
Below are the top foods from brands that consistently make the grade. Click the links below to jump down the page to the category that matches your dog.
If you're not sure which category your dog needs, see the pages referenced below or ask our veterinarians for advice via My Online Vet.
- Dogs in Good Health - See our Natural Organic Dog Food page to learn more about the difference between natural organic and regular dog food.
- Vegetarian Dogs - See our Vegetarian Diet for Dogs page to find out if this kind of diet is right for your dog.
- Dogs with Dog Food Allergies - Our Dog with Dog Food Allergy page will teach you how to diagnose and treat a dog with food allergies.
- Overweight Dogs - Our Dog Weight Loss page dives into dog obesity, the importance of a proper weight and how to help them lose the extra pounds.
- Dogs Needing a High Fiber Diet - Check out our High Fiber Dog Food page to determine whether this kind of diet is right for your dog.
- Top 2 Organic Puppy Food Choices (on a different page)
- Raw Natural Dog Food (on a different page)
|For Dogs in Good Health|
Halo Spot's Stew Canned Dog Beef
Primal Pet Foods Raw Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck and Chicken Canned Dog Food
Darwin's Natural SelectionsTM Meals - Duck & Vegetable
|For Vegetarian Dogs|
Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl for Dogs
|For Dogs with Dog Food Allergies|
Solid Gold Canned Dog Food Chicken & Liver
|For Overweight Dogs|
|For Dogs Needing High Fiber Diets|
Party Animal Organic Gourmet Canned Dog Food Chicken
with Carrots, Peas and Apples Formula
What kind of dog food do you feed your dog?
While our 10 Best Dog Food Options page reviews our favorites, we know that there are MANY other great options out there, including store-bought and homemade.
Tell us about your favorite dog food, such as:
- What's it called?
- Who makes it?
- If you make it, what's the recipe?
- Is there anything special about it that you really like?
- Why did you start feeding it to your dog?
- What score does it receive from the Healthy Label Test?
And be sure to include a picture of the dog food itself or of your dog eating it!
Favorite Dog Food of Other Visitors
Click below to see other contributions...
I've tried several of the types you have listed, and they were great, but Wysong beats them all by miles. Especially their new Epigen line - the food has...
Best Dry Dog Food & Best Canned Dog Food - Visitor Rated Best Holistic Dog Food
Review the best dry dog food and best canned dog food as rated by visitors to Organic Pet Digest....
Barking At The Moon Solid Gold and Steve's Real Food
Not rated yet
I like not having grains in my dogs' food. I think Solid Gold is a reputable company....
The Honest Kitchen and Orijen
Not rated yet
When I don't have time to make my dog's food from scratch, I like The Honest Kitchen brand which is organic, human grade dehydrated food to which I add...
Not rated yet
1. my 3 dogs love it! 2. the ingredients are incredible 3. free range meat 4. no chemicals, preservatives artificial colours 5. antibiotic and hormone...
Solid Gold Hunden Flocken
Not rated yet
I have had great success feeding Solid Gold Hunchen/Hunden Flocken (puppy/adult)to Great Danes. As they are prone to allergies they need fairly pure food...
Healthy Radience by Beneful
Not rated yet
My dog loves the food I buy for him, he gobbles it up, never hesitates to finish it right away. I must portion it out or he would founder if I give him...
Can't find your answer on this page? Our veterinarians will answer your specific question no later than tomorrow... click here to ask a veterinarian via My Online Vet.
You can also review related questions from other visitors here: Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section
Was this page helpful? If so, please tell your friends about it with a Facebook like or via Twitter, Pinterest, email or good old fashioned word of mouth. Thank you for supporting our efforts!
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.
For additional research, search for your topic...
In the spirit of full disclosure, we wanted to let you know that we proudly support this website through advertising and affiliate marketing. In other words, when you click on a link that takes you outside of this website, we often earn a small commission. These small commissions allow us to keep the site up and running and to continue offering it completely free of charge to you. Rest assured that all content, recommendations and advice are created before, and are independent of, any sponsorship or affiliate relationship. Click here for more info.